How to get an employee tax number from SARS:
Obtaining an employee tax number from the South African Revenue Service (SARS) is a straightforward process.
7 Steps on How to Get an Employee Tax Number from SARS
Here are the steps you’ll need to follow:
- Gather the necessary information: To apply for an employee tax number, you’ll need the following information:
- The employee’s full name
- The employee’s date of birth
- The employee’s ID number or passport number
- The employee’s physical address
- The employee’s contact details (phone number and email address)
- Go to the SARS website: Visit the SARS website (https://www.sars.gov.za/) and navigate to the “Individuals” section.
- Download the IT77 form: In the “Individuals” section, you’ll find the IT77 form, which is used to apply for a tax number. Download the form and fill it in with the employee’s information.
- Submit the form: Once the form is completed, it should be submitted to the nearest SARS office with all the required documents such as ID copy, proof of residence and any other document that SARS requires.
- Wait for the tax number to be issued: After submitting the form and required documents, SARS will process the application and issue the employee with a tax number. This can take several days or weeks, depending on the volume of applications.
- Provide the tax number to the employee: Once you receive the employee’s tax number, provide it to them so they can use it when completing their tax return.
Video Lesson: SARS eFiling – How to Register as a Taxpayer and get a Tax Number
It’s important to note that SARS may require additional documentation or information before issuing a tax number. In case of any issues, it’s best to contact SARS directly for assistance.